Taking drugs can either be for medical or personal purpose. People take drugs as a form of medication. There are also those who take drugs for pleasure. Drug dependent individuals never realize their addiction until their family members notice a sudden change in their mood and personality. We can say that a person is at his peak of addiction when they crave for the substance. They may also show some signs of changes in attitude, personality and behavior. They cannot live without a dose of cocaine, heroin, marijuana and other illegal drugs.
The purpose of this article is to know some of the causes why some people get hooked into drugs.
1. Curiosity. Some people are too curious, and they would like to try everything in life. They might be curious how it feels to be on the state of being “high on drugs.”
2. Peer Pressure or Social Pressure. Since no man is an island, we tend to have friends and partners. Those who would like to be accepted on a circle of friends will do everything. They may be even forced to take drugs to test their loyalty to the group. A group of drug addicts can easily encourage an individual to take drugs because peer pressure is too strong.
3. Low Cost. There are illegal drugs that are too cheap and accessible to many. Marijuana is extraordinarily cheap, and they are available almost anywhere.
4. When a person lost a family member or a loved one. Those who suffer from emptiness tend to use drugs to alleviate their pain and emotional distress.
5. Competition in Sports. This is a prevailing issue among the athletes today. Some of them take drugs because it boosts maximum performance. The level of energy that they can show in the game may reach at the maximum level. Some of the drugs used by athletes include steroids and amphetamine.
6. Stress in the workplace. Those who have stressful jobs take drugs. They need it for long work hours and overtime.
7. Sexual Abuse. They maybe forced to take drugs by their sexual partners aside from sexual abuse that they experience.
8. Love life. Those who are often on a break up and failed relationship tend to take drugs because of low self-esteem.
9. Marital Problems. Bad relationships and a compelling husband or wife can also be the reason. Drugs can be used to reduce stress caused by marital arguments and misunderstandings.
10. Financial Problems. Even those poor people can still have access to illegal drugs. They do certain crimes in order to get money and buy the substance that they need.
Many people had been trying to combat drug addiction. There are instances wherein an individual can no longer fight the pressure that they tend to give in to the negative vice. Drug addiction can be addressed with counseling services and therapy. Family members often bring their loved ones to a family therapist or drug rehabilitation center to help them move away from drug addiction.